Voted #1 Best Place to Buy Antiques in the Chicago Southland!
The History of Orland Park, Illinois
Located 33 miles southwest of downtown Chicago, the Village of Orland Park was established in 1834 shortly after the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad established a railroad station at 143rd Street. By the turn of the century, Orland Park was a thriving rural market town. The local merchants and farmers used the railroad to ship dairy products and livestock to Chicago and relied on its harness and blacksmith shops, grain elevator and local stores for repairs and services. The Village, on the other hand, depended on the commerce provided by the farms for its livelyhood and prosperity. During the 1950's and 1960's, highways and automobiles brought substantial development to the Village. Over the next several decades, Orland Park has grown into a community of over 57,000 residents and has shifted the center of town to the LaGrange corridor. Despite this growth and development, the original Historic District still remains intact with its quaint shops and green spaces along with the Twin Towers and Humphrey House, which are both listed on the National Registry of Historic Buildings.
Copyright 2010 Old Orland Antique Shops. All rights reserved.